- Place the paper filter in the V60 and rinse with hot water. This helps remove some of the papery taste and preheats the V60.
- Put 18g or 1 ½ dessert spoons of coarse ground coffee into the center of the V60.
- Start a timer and pour a small amount of hot filtered water onto the coffee, just enough to wet all the grinds evenly or about 60ml. The coffee will now bloom as it releases gases and starts to extract.
- After 30 seconds pour another ½ cup or 120ml of hot filtered water evenly over the coffee .
- At 1:10min pour another ½ cup or 120ml of hot filtered water in the same motion.
- This brew should take between 2:30-3min. If it is too slow you may need to make your grind coarser, too fast and the grind needs to be finer.
Finding the correct grind size will vary between brewing methods and depending on the contact time of the water and the coffee.
To create the perfect drink a specific coffee to water ratio is needed. Too much coffee will taste harsh and bitter, too little will taste watery and thin. Typically in most filter brew methods, a brew ratio of 12g (one dessert spoon), to 200ml (1 cup) will produce great results.